Re: Java in Windows on X

Brian,

Interfacing to platform-specific facilities such as graphics / windows, audio, file systems etc. is not, strictly speaking, a JVM issue. The JVM per se is primarily tied to a processor architecture, instruction set and programming model and to a lesser extent to the memory address layout that is usually OS-specific (and which is somewhat different in Cygwin than in native Windows, I believe).

So Java AWT libraries for X would indeed give you the ability to run graphics-based Java programs under XFree86/Cygwin. If you wanted Cygwin I/O and process functionality, e.g., you'd need to go with a complete set of Cygwin-built Java libraries, which would no doubt be most closely akin to the Linux or another Unix port or work-alike.

I don't know how well the graphics / AWT libraries are separated from the I/O and process portions of the library and hence how easy it would be to mix and match, say, XFree86/Cygwin graphics (and mouse / keyboard) with Windows I/O and processes, e.g. Presumably it's not too bad.

Apple has been through this, of course, in having two Java platforms encompassing two different I/O systems and two different UI systems (between MacOS 8x. / 9.x / Classic on the one hand and MacOS X on the other. The former is completely proprietary, of course, while the latter uses Darwin / FreeBSD and so mostly Unix-like in its I/O and process, memory and library architecture and has its own UI subsystems.)

I know of one person (Ted Neward, <mailto:tneward@javageeks.com>) who's working on a full Cygwin-based Java platform. He reported recently to the Advanced Java list at DevelopMentor.com that SCSL JDK release was oriented toward MKS and he was having trouble running some of the build scripts under Cygwin.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA