xmodmap under cygwin/XFree + w2k

Hi!

It seems that I have no effect with "xmodmap" on my system. I used
"xkeycaps" (it takes a certain time to compile it, xpm library is missed in
the linking options in Imakefile there... also rman fails to produce html
docs...) to create .Xmodmap file for my FI keyboard in my home directory.
Then I added a command

xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

into my .xinitrc file, before starting the window manager. I also tried to
use systemwide xinitrc but with the same zero result.

When I start xmodmap from xterm it says no errors... And again there is no
result. Does this related only to this particular platform (cigwin/XFree +
w2k)? There is nothing said about that in the FAQ.

Thanks!
S.I.M