From: Steve Stone Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 2:00 PM
To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'
Subject: FW: cygwin question

Hi Harold,

I am using XDMCP to logon to a Linux/UNIX machine that is running KDE.

To be sure that we are clear, the CPU usage I had noted was on the NT box (thus not KDE). I have now run 'top' on the Linux box and the kpanel does not seem to require much time (it jumps up to right below top, drop down and keeps repeating that, but not at a very high cpu demand on the Linux box). Also, the NT CPU time is not 100%, it is jumps to 40% and then oscillates between 40% and 60% every second or so.
This behavior is present for both the KDE task bar and the KDE panel bar.

If I put the KDE Auto Hide setting at even one click up from the lowest "Delay = small" setting, the NT cpu usage drops dramatically to be 2-7%. It also goes to zero after the minimize icon is clicked. The Speed and Animate settings do not seem to affect the CPU usage much.

As long as the mouse is hovering over either the panel bar and/or the title bar (and the Auto Hide is at the shortest delay), the CPU usage is up. This is with no mouse movement, just parked over the panel bar.

Steve Stone
503.672.5771