Re: [ VNC vs export display ] - use cygwin/XFree or ssh to export "Internet Explorer"

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 9:07 pm, Joel.CARNAT@noos.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I have an NT4/cygwin machine and an SUN U10 workstation.
>       I would like to run IE and LotusNotes from the U10 (exporting the
> display)
>       By now I use VNC but having a whole window for all winapps isn't that
> good...
>
>       Is there a way (using ssh -X, I guess) to run WinApps from the U10 ?
>       By now, when I do "ssh -X -C winbox notepad", it starts the winapp on
> the windows display...
>       Even "ssh -X -C winbox ; export DISPLAY=U10 ; notepad", starts
> notepad on the winbox...

What you are trying to do will only work for X Applications.  Windows
applications in general do not speak X, they draw themselves via GDI.  If
someone were to port the Wine GDI->X conversion library to Cygwin, then what
you want to do may become possible (with quite a bit more work).  Until then,
I'm pretty sure that what you are trying to do is not possible.

Rasjid.