Re: displaying windows outside the main window

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 9:48 pm, Rahul Amaram-RollNo.2000086 wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Is it possible to display the clients' windows like xterm, rxvt,
> ymeesenger, etc. outside the main single window??? Any help would be
> appreciated.
> 						Rahul.

See http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/todo.html.  It is at the top of the list,
but Cygwin-XFree is developed in peoples spare time.

Harold did offer to develop needed features in return for some renumeration.
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-07/msg00090.html

I didn't respond to Harold's post at the time, as unfortunately I don't hold
the purse strings where I work, but philosophically I am strongly in favour
of people paying money to get features they want developed in Open-Source
software.  I have helped my workplace become a paying customer to two
open-source products, Mitel's SME server and Astaro's Security Linux.

If Harold had a pay pal account, I would happily contribute US$10,
particularly if a number of other people did so too.  Perhaps setting up some
kind of pledge system.  Something along the lines of:

Task 1: Rootless mode
|Name                       | Amount Pledged   | Contact            | Rec'd |
| Joe Blogs                 |  $20             | joe.blogs@msn.com  |  Yes  |
| Mary Smith                |  $15             | ms@somedomain.com  |       |
| etc....

Task 2: ......

Once the task is complete, someone follows up each pledge. I would suggest
that that someone not be the developer(s).  An automated system would be
better.  Anyone know of an existing system that could be coerced to do the
task?

Would RedHat be happy to host such a pledging system on their servers?  I
would be happy to host it on my sever. Note that it is only on an ADSL
connection with a 64kbs uplink speed.  However, it is up 24/7 and does have a
fixed IP.

The contact email address would need to be obscured from the spammers, or
perhaps kept off public pages altogether.

What do people think?  Could it work?  Is it already being done somewhere?

I have just found some pages by Christopher Browne, called the "Free Software
(Gift) Exchange Registry" (http://cbbrowne.com/info/fssp.html), but he just
talks about a similar idea.  There is no reference to someone actually
putting his idea into practice.  Christopher does raise the issue of gifts
and tax, and his article is generally a good read.

Rasjid.