Re: xwinclip re selection polling

Again, I don't know much about X so I'm going to talk blind here....

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
As far as integrating xwinclip into XWin.exe - Chris would be stuck by the same problem that I am: that the process hosting the xwinclip X client connection gets killed when X shuts down or resets and the client connection is still open.

I have searched for months and months for a way to receive a definite signal that the X server is about to shutdown.
... XWin is the X server so if xwinclip is part of XWin, then it knows that the server is shuting down/reseting because XWin is shuting down/reseting, doesn't it?

Also, I thought that the use of select() in test04 was to avoid problem with disconnection.
test05 changelog says that there is still a problem with GiveUp. But I guess that GiveUp ends up calling ddxGiveUp. Maybe this ddxGiveUp could be useful (like to close the X client connection if it's not too late to do it)

Also (it's probably more work but...) the X server is the one handling the clipboard, isn't it? So if xwinclip is integrated into the server, it should not need to be a X client anymore so no more problem with connections. Maybe Chris would be interested into looking into that (that would occupy his mind for quite a while a guess :)).

Jehan