Re: XFree86 Wont work on windows 98

Thanks Rasjid I took your advice and its ok now when I ran ipconfig as you suggested, I found that I had two adapters installed one the network card, and the other a dial up network connection with no ip address. So I removed the dial up card and that cured the problem.
I now can log into the SuSE box via XFree86 ok. Once again thank very much for your help it was driving me mad Kindest regards John Proctor Tresham Institute Kettering Northants.

From: Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw@openminddev.net>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com, "John Proctor" <jproctor0@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: XFree86 Wont work on windows 98
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 21:44:16 +1000

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 9:28 pm, John Proctor wrote:
> Hi I cant get the X server (Xfree86) to connect to my Suse v8 Box,
> I have installed XFree86 on 19 machines which use NT4, using the default
> cygwin setup/install program and these all work great by typing the
> following command:
> $XWin -query server.ip.address
> But when I performed the same installation on the one Windows 98 box and
> tried the above command the X-window appeared but wouldn't connect to the
> SuSE box as the others did.
>
> The Windows 98 pc is on the same network (class C) and is listed in the
> /etc/host file but try as a may I cant get it to connect. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated John Proctor.

Have you tried using the -from paramater? In my experience, Windows 98 is
more likely to have empty interfaces sitting around.

Run 'ipconfig' from a command (dos) prompt.

Also, check out Alexander's ls_netdev utility to help diagnose any problems.
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~goal/?jump=xfree

The latter uses the same code as cygwin to detect the interfaces.

Cheers,

Rasjid.