XFree and NT4.0 SP 6 hang after first client

I just installed the latest stable XFree using setup.exe, and am experiencing
an X server hang after the first client. I was starting the server using
startxwin.sh, and it would appear to immediately hang, so I tried starting
just XWin directly. That worked - at least the mouse pointer would move
around the screen. I then started one client, such as xterm or xeyes, and
that client would work properly. However, as soon as I attempted to start a
second client, the X server would hang. I needed to kill it in order to shut
it down. I don't see any errors in the server log file. Any ideas on what
could be causing this?