Re: twm iconmngr missing inputs

Things don't happen when you expect....Murphy's Law? ;-<

So far since the first post, I haven't been able to get to the situation
where 'ctrl-shift' doesn't work. Until yesterday, it had happened in
about every few hours or so, sometimes less than 30 minutes.

I got the xev output for the "normal" case already and am ready to do
that for the "bad" case.

Speaking of xev output messages, how would you save it in a file?
I thought a simple redirection(xev > file) should work but didn't.
I ended up yanking and copying the face of the xterm window. What
is the proper way to do it?

By the way, I did one thing on XWin, which I don't know might help
or not. That's the -emulate3buttons option. I hadn't used it. But
I realized that I needed it because the yanking and copying on xterm
didn't work without it. Since restarted with this option, the problem
hasn't happened yet. I don't know if it's related or not.

Thanks for your help.
Dai (a mouse-hater :-)

) Thank you for the detailed report.
)
) You now need to do three things before we can comment on your problem:
)
) 1) Run ``xev'' (X Event Viewer) before the problem occurs. Press a few
) combinations of keys involving Ctrl, Shift, and some letters. Keep it
) simple and document exactly what you push. Save the output of xev to
) a file.
)
) 2) Run ``xev'' after the problem occurs but before you reboot. Repeat
) the EXACT combinations of keys that you pressed above. Save this output
) to another file.
)
) 3) Email the contents of both files into cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com,
) along with a description of which keys you pressed in which order.
)
) With that information we should be able to figure out what is going on.
)
) Harold
)
) > Dai wrote:
) >
) > Hello all,
) >
) > Here's how I use this thing:
) >
) > 	- start bash on Win2K
) > 	- type "startxwin.sh" in the bash window
) > 	  (this creates the root window and a xterm window in it)
) > 	- type "xhost myLinux" in the xterm
) > 	- type "telnet myLinux" in the xterm
) > 	  (this gives me a tcsh prompt on the remote host)
) > 	- type "setenv DISPLAY myWin2K:0"
) > 	- type "twm &"
) >
) > Then twm starts running and I enjoy the wonderful twm world without
) > any problem whatsoever. I can move to any window with 'ctrl-shift-j'
) > or 'ctrl-shift-k' anytime. I can raise or lower the current window
) > with 'ctrl-shift-m'. Iconify/restore, zooming/unzooming....everything
) > is done with a 'ctrl-shift-something' key stroke.
) >
) > But, after something snaps somewhere, this is no longer available.
) > The 'ctrl-shift' is treated as just a 'ctrl'. The ctrl key and the
) > shift key work fine if used separately. I mean, I can do all the
) > emacs-like command line editing with ctrl key and I can type in
) > CAPITALs with shift. But 'ctrl-shift' doesn't work anymore, thus
) > I lose all the handy twm hotkeys.
) >
) > The X server is running on Win2K. Twm is running on the remote Linux
) > box, which is fine with other X servers running on some other MS-
) > Windows machines, even after this happens on this Win2K.
) >
) > Once this happens, restarting twm internally(using twm's restart
) > menu), or restarting externally(exit twm and run it again from the
) > shell), or even restarting XWin(startxwin.sh) doesn't fix the problem.
) > I have to reboot Win2K.
) >
) > I don't know where the problem resides. And I don't know exactly how
) > to reproduce the situation where 'ctrl-shift' is treated as just a ctrl.
) > But it just happens and I have to reboot the machine. ;-<
) >
) > Whose problem is this? How can I fix(or avoid) it?
) > I would very much appreciate your help. TIA.
) >
) > I'm using this Cygwin version and I setup everything using the setup.exe.
) > CYGWIN_NT-5.0 myWin2K 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown
) >