Re: # XFree and NT4.0 SP 6 hang after first client

Hello Andrew,

Were you able to solve your problem?

I am experiencing exactly the same problem you described.
In my case, it happens on 2 of 3 of my Windowx XP w/SP 1
boxes. All boxes have fresh Cygwin installations and no
custom configurations (i.e. all have the exact same Cygwin
packages installed + same versions). I also have no
problems in a Windows NT w/SP 6 box at work with the exact
same Cygwin packages + versions. None of the boxes have
any special Cygwin configurations, just the installed
defaults.

At first I thought it might be a video card driver issue,
but I quickly dismissed it as the X server comes up good,
and only hangs after the 2nd X client is started. Starting
a window manager counts as an X client run (i.e. a window
manager will start if run, but trying to start and xterm
or xeyes will hang the X server, requiring a kill to
stop everyting). When the window manager is started and
no other X client is run, the window manager can be stopped
normally, and the X server shutdown via ALT+F4. Again,
the hang happens as soon as a 2nd X client is run.

The XWin.log file produced when starting the X server is
below.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

- Carlos

> From: Andrew Robinson <arobinso at nyx dot net>
> To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
> Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 00:13:41 -0600 (MDT)
> Subject: XFree and NT4.0 SP 6 hang after first client
>
> I just installed the latest stable XFree using setup.exe, and am
> experiencing an X server hang after the first client. I was starting
> the server using startxwin.sh, and it would appear to immediately
> hang, so I tried starting just XWin directly. That worked - at least
> the mouse pointer would move around the screen. I then started one
> client, such as xterm or xeyes, and that client would work properly.
> However, as soon as I attempted to start a second client, the X server
> would hang. I needed to kill it in order to shut it down. I don't see
> any errors in the server log file. Any ideas on what could be causing
> this?

----------8< CUT HERE ----------
(XWin.log)
ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1600 h 1200
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 1200 1600
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 0 1200 1600
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1024 h 768 r 1024 l 0 b 768 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Returning
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - lPitch: 4096
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winScreenInit - returning