XFree hangs after first client is started

Hello,

I wanted to ask the Cygwin/XFree community for help
on this issue. It pretty much involves the X server
hanging after one client is started (i.e. xterm, xeyes,
or a window manager for that matter). There are no
errors being logged or displayed. It happens on 2 of
4 boxes we have (sadly, it happens on the 2 boxes we
need Cygwin/XFree in). All installations are fresh
installations with no custom Cygwin configurations.
All environment settings are exactly the same accross
boxes.

The following 2 threads describe the specifics:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-09/msg00085.html
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-09/msg00038.html

Are there any starting points I could start looking at?
Given the lack of responses to the original poster,
is this something any other people have experienced?
Would it be worth the time looking into this or would
it be appropriate for me to look into a non-Cygwin/XFree
solution and instead into a different UNIX alternative?

Thank you in advance for any help on this,

- Carlos