Re: xwinclip - update and motif clipboard

Chris Twiner <c_twiner@hotmail.com> said:

> >I thank you for putting so much time into developing xwinclip.
>
> It has been a pleasure anyway.
>
> >I really appreciate that you got the long-awaited setjmp lngjmp
> functionality implemented so that we are not killed upon X Server shutdown
> and restart.
>
> It's cool, I've always wanted an excuse to use them (always used c++
> exceptions instead).
>
> >I don't know anymore about the CLIPBOARD than what I wrote in the xwinclip
> source comments, which was something to the effect of, ``help! can't find
> CLIPBOARD documentation, how does it work?''
>
> Well according to the specs you're implementation is right.  Own clipboard
> manager and grab the clipboard when it's been selected, then own it again.
> It doesn't seem to work with Motif though.  No biggy, primary works v. well.

That's good to know, but why doesn't it work when we do it according to the
spec?  :)

> >I am going to integrate your changes into a future release of xwinclip, but
> I cannot tell you when that will be.  However, a little schedule update:
> <snip> On the other hand, shit happens, so don't expect
> anything extraordinary.  :)
>
> Like Chris said it's suprising you can reply at all, and much appreciated.

No problem, I don't want people to think that I have given up or anything.

> As was suggested I'm going to look at implmenting "a grab the selection only
> when the windows clipboard has changed" addition to the code.  It shouldn't
> make a great deal of extra code but it will definitely make a minor glitch
> go bye bye.

That was the way that the original code worked... the Windows loop became a
member of the clipboard chain and ... well, it should have owned the X
selection when the clipboard changed, but I don't remember if it did or not.
The reason that we didn't pursue that route further was that we didn't have a
way to always process the Windows message queue when a message was waiting, so
we were freezing the clipboard chain and causing lots of problems for other
Windows applications.  Now that we call select () ourseleves we should be able
to return to using the clipboard chain.  I can dig up the old code, or you can
just look at the notes in the Server Test Series Change Log and the xwinclip
ChangeLog, then figure out which sets of source to download (the historical
sources for the Server Test Series are mostly going to be in the XFree86 tree,
which you can view via XFree86's cvsweb).  Or, you could blindly reimplement
the ClipBoard chain support...

> I'll have a look at integrating it into XWin as well.  When more than one
> XWin window are open it doesn't work properly and if the x windows clients
> become integrated with windows ala eXceed then it won't work at all.

It would probably be a good idea to allow the app to work with multiple XWin
sessions.  But, are you doing everything properly, such as giving each XWin
window a different display number and telling each instance of xwinclip which
display to connect to?

Harold