Re: XFree 4.2.1 + fontconfig-2

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:40:06AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> > For this issue, I would revisit it, if someone claimed that there
> > are applications for Cygwin/XFree86 that relied on Xft1. I suspect
> > for the number of applications that will become available for
> > Cygwin/XFree86 they'll now be using Xft2 anyway. But please speakup
> > if this is a problem, I will take another look at fixing it.
>
> Well this isn't a problem for me.  Since you probably have a close
> working relationship with Keith, I assume you are more clued-in than
> me.  I made a hasty assumption and my thinking Xft2 was not source
> compatible with Xft1 apps, so it may not be true.  Can you confirm
> this?  I should be releasing QT2 shortly, which uses Xft, but I
> haven't investigated if it compiles against Xft2 headers/libraries.
> I think some of the gtk-1 stuff uses Xft1, and someone is working on
> this.  Just to be safe, I'm CC:'ing Steve O. who is working on the
> Gnome port.
>
> I still think, though, that it would be worth the effort to bring
> Xfree's runtime libraries into sync with the "generally accepted"
> Cygwin standard:
>
> "cyg" + <library name - "lib"> + "ABI Revision" + ".dll" (i.e.
> cygpopt0.dll)
>
> I'm sure this would not only fix the issues now, but might prevent
> further headaches in the future.  However, I know the hell that is
> Imake, so I'm not going to make a big fuss over this now.  Perhaps a
> suggestion for Cygwin/XFree-4.3.0?

The above is most certainly the right thing to do. Maybe someone
can poke at the Imakefiles and send me a patch.

> While I have you here, I have a question which Harold said he didn't
> know.  Why was libXaw built as a static library [it's usually shared
> on linux]?  I'm running into some runtime issues with my libXaw3d
> package [I built it as dll] and I suspect the answer lies in the
> reasoning behind that question.  I was also wondering how you
> generated the foo-def.cpp?  Is there a script that does this or do
> you just have to go through the entire source?  Maybe I'm missing
> something because I've been spoiled by libtool/ld autogenerating the
> exports...

It's more likely a historical thing. Just flip the flag to YES and
rebuild. Alexander had a script to generate the foo-def.cpp files.

Actually, there's a few other libraries in cygwin.rules that could
be flipped to YES too. Anyone want to take stab at it, rebuild and
send in a patch.

Alan.