Re: X client wrapper for Win apps?

David Fraser was recently quoted as saying...
> Stuart Adamson wrote:
> >>printer. The people
> >>from wine already have written a driver which exports a GDI
> >>interface and
> >>maps all calls to X11. Maybe this is a starting point.
> >
> >But xfree86 will also be using this interface to draw to the screen (as
> >will the logon box etc).  I can see this becoming rather circular ....
> >You need to be able to set the GDI context per application.

Well, if xfree86 could take over the root desktop a la Explorer, then you
would only need to detect which app is controlling the desktop.

Of course, that assumes this functionality would only be desired by
people trying to run XWin as the desktop shell...

I guess this is why I figured a separate wrapper app would be the
easiest solution. One could simply set up aliases or a shell function
that ran certain apps through the wrapping program, which would only have
to be able to act as an X app to display itself. It also wouldn't have to
interfere with system drivers, it would (theoretically) only have to
interfere with the *application's* attempts to make system calls.

(I acknowledge that I'm no Windows programmer, and I'm theorizing this
off what little I know of system calls and what I've overheard you guys
say on this topic already.)

Keith D. Tyler                                keith@keithtyler.com
Federal Way, WA                          http://www.keithtyler.com
 Terrorists can attack freedom, but only Congress can destroy it.