Re: X client wrapper for Win apps?

Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 5:58 am, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
<snip>

VNC is not the better solution. It grab parts of the picture _after_ they
were drawn. X11 sends the drawing commands across network. There was always
a VNC client for windows which allowed access to a unix session. But as
this is far from being fast someone started building a xserver for windows.

VNC requires much higher bandwidth than X11 and will fail on fast changes
of the display content.

As a VNC user who runs Linux and home to control a Windows NT machine at work, and finds the performance less than satisfactory even with ADSL both ends, I would be very interested in the 'X client wrapper for Win apps' idea. I suspect the performance would be subtantially better (assuming decent optimisation and caching).

As far as I can tell, Radmin (http://www.radmin.com) is a commercial product that uses the GDI hook idea, and if you believe its marketing, it outperforms all other (windows) remote control software by a significant margin. Unfortunately, it is only Windows-Windows.

Anyway, I think that something that allows Windows apps to be easily displayed on Xservers (other than VNC) would be a really good thing. Particularly if just the application could be displayed as opposed to the entire desktop. It opens up all sorts of possibilities, in the same way that a rootless mode does.

I would like to see this happen and would be happy to test! :-)

Rasjid.

What would be even better than either VNC or Radmin is that you could use a standard
Windows machine like a Terminal Server if we got this all set up right... If an office
wants to migrate to Linux but some people still need Windows apps, they could just
use one Windows box and let people connect to that to run the apps they need...

David