Re: New Project (was RE: X client wrapper for Win apps?)

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Please don't use GDI in the name. I ask this because I don't want there to be confusion between the Cygwin/XFree86 NativeGDI engine and any foogdi project.

Consider instead something like the following:
XShell
XExplorer

Something more along those lines would help to differentiate your project from Cygwin/XFree86.

Harold

David Fraser wrote:

Yes, I've been thinking this and then we can include it back into cygwin if neccessary
later. Possible names:
gdi2X
win2X
xgdi
I'm happy to register the project and set it up...

Qualities we need for the name of the project:
Should reflect what it does (displays ordinary Windows programs on an Xserver)
Should be intelligible to end users

Other names:
OpenWin[dows] (because it's open source replacement for windows gdi)
XOpenWin[dows]

I reckon XExplorer sounds to much like it's a different of Windows Explorer,
XShell is fairly good, as it's replacing the normal shell functions.
XDesktop would be good except it would sound like its a generic X Desktop like KDE or Gnome

I like the combination of Open and Windows as it's reflective both of the fact that its
open source and that its using an open protocol, which is important because it gives flexibility
that Windows currently lacks. And it's metaphorically nice. I don't think we can simply use OpenWindows
though as that's a Sun windowing system...

We should clarify the scope of the project. It could be an umbrella project to house a few
different ways of goiig about this (that have been discussed so far) or we could settle
on
It takes a while to register a project anyway (about a day) and these are the things we need... (from sourceforge page)

1. Project Full Name

You should start with specifying the name of your project. The "Full Name" is descriptive, and has no arbitrary restrictions (except a 40 character limit).

2. Project Purpose and Summarization

*Submitted description should be at least a paragraph in length, and provide details of your intended implementation (programming language, OS platforms supported, graphics libraries you might intend to use, etc. as applicable). This description will be the basis for the approval or rejection of your request for project hosting on SourceForge.net, and later, to ensure that you are using the services in the intended way. This description will not be used as a public description of your project.

*

3. License

I would think GPL or LGPL here unless there is a reason we need to keep this the same as cygwin/Xfree86

4. Project Public Description

This is the description of your project which will be shown on the Project Summary page, in search results, etc. Maximum length is 255 chars.

5. Project Unix Name

In addition to full project name, you will need to choose short, "Unix" name for your project. (This is the name discussion above)

Once it's up, we need to set up mailing lists and the web site and then we can get going...

David