Re: XFree 4.2.1 + fontconfig-2

--- Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 10:56:54PM +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> >
> > > final outcome:
> > > --------------
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/cygXfoo.0.0.dll
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfoo.0.0.dll.a
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfoo.0.dll.a
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfoo.dll.a
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfoo.a
> >
> > Attached a patch which tweaks the makefile to build
> >
> > lib$(NAME)-$(MAJOR).dll
> > lib$(NAME)-$(MAJOR).a
> > lib$(NAME).a -> lib$(NAME)-$(MAJOR).a
> >
> > for Xft1 and Xft2 its
> > exports/bin/libXft-1.dll
> > exports/bin/libXft-2.dll
> > exports/lib/libXft-1.a -> ../../lib/Xft1/libXft-1.a
> > exports/lib/libXft-2.a -> ../../lib/Xft/libXft-2.a
> > exports/lib/libXft.a -> libXft-2.a
>
> Nice job!
>
> For the libXft-1.dll we'll need a hack somewhere to make that
> libXft.dll for backwards compatibility.

Well if I might comment on this and take a stance similar to Chuck's
line of reasoning (we were discussing this the other day).  First
off, it "Would Be Nice (tm)" to use the prefix that the core
distribution uses "cyg".  Alexander says making that happen is
trivial, so why not go with the standard?  Secondly, Cygwin's shared
import libraries end in "dll.a" not ".a" [which is the suffix
reserved for static import libraries].  I really think we ought to
differentiate on this.  What if I wanted to distribute a shared and
static version of my library?  As you know, ld automatically
recognizes dll.a suffix and will use that as the shared import
library.  I'm not trying to harp, but this was causing me trouble
earlier this year.  There are times when it is handy to link in a
static manner, allowing you to ship as few seperate files as
necessary.  Also, I don't understand the need for keeping import
libraries in subdirs.  If my original idea doesn't suite you, why not
this (if possible):

shared:
-------
exports/bin/cygXft-1.dll
exports/bin/cygXft-2.dll
exports/lib/libXft-1.dll.a
exports/lib/libXft-2.dll.a
exports/lib/libXft-2.dll.a -> libXft.dll.a

static:
-------
exports/lib/libXft-1.a
exports/lib/libXft-2.a
exports/lib/libXft.a -> libXft-2.a

I'll have a look at Alexander's work to see if I can get it to do
this.  Again, I appreciate the hard work both of you put into it.
Call me crazy, but after some previous threads on the main list, I
know how important it is to keep a common naming schema.

Cheers,
Nicholas