Re: XFree 4.2.1 + fontconfig-2

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> Well if I might comment on this and take a stance similar to Chuck's
> line of reasoning (we were discussing this the other day).  First
> off, it "Would Be Nice (tm)" to use the prefix that the core
> distribution uses "cyg".  Alexander says making that happen is
> trivial, so why not go with the standard?

Its the SharedLibraryName macro. Changing the concat3(lib, to concat3(cyg
does it.

> Secondly, Cygwin's shared
> import libraries end in "dll.a" not ".a" [which is the suffix
> reserved for static import libraries].  I really think we ought to
> differentiate on this.  What if I wanted to distribute a shared and
> static version of my library?

Afaik you can either build a X11 library static or shared.

imake.rules contains a macro LibraryTargetName which expands to libName.a
and is widely used in the Imakefiles. The change the macro to use
libName.a for static and libName.dll.a

#if Concat(SharedLib,libname)
#define LibraryTargetName(libname) Concat3(lib,libname,.dll.a)
#else
#define LibraryTargetName(libname) Concat3(lib,libname,l.a)
#endif

But I don't know if this is either valid for imake or if it will
break anything. And when you do a shared and a static version, the
static version will most likely be name libName.dll.a too.

> As you know, ld automatically
> recognizes dll.a suffix and will use that as the shared import
> library.  I'm not trying to harp, but this was causing me trouble
> earlier this year.  There are times when it is handy to link in a
> static manner, allowing you to ship as few seperate files as
> necessary.  Also, I don't understand the need for keeping import
> libraries in subdirs.  If my original idea doesn't suite you, why not
> this (if possible):

This was not the system install but only the global install in the build
tree.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723