Re: x2x or XWin -screen 0 2048 768 ?

Jean-Claude,

Have you run Cygwin/XFree86 as follows?

XWin -screen 0 2048 768

Does that work at all? Are you able to size the window using the mouse so that it displays at up to 2048x768? If not, perhaps we can change that behavior later.

As far as maximization size, you will notice that all other Windows applications only size to the size of the current monitor when you click the maximize button. Thus, we are following the standard behavior. Also, think about the limited options that we have here. Pretty much our only other option would be to create a screen large enough to fill both monitors on startup, say 2048x768, and display that size by default. Well, what if the user doesn't want to have their screen stretched across two displays, then that is just too bad for them, they have to have it stretched across two displays. I don't think that would be acceptable as the default behavior.

If you propose an extremely detailed new default behavior scheme, that can actually be implemented, and that doesn't do anything detrimental to the 99% of users that use the default behavior, then I will most likely implement your proposed new logic. Or, you can propose a detailed new command-line parameter if you wish that provides a different behavior for multiple-monitor systems. More than likely you will realize that we are doing pretty much what other Windows applications do and that there isn't a default behavior that is much better. Of course, I may just be overlooking some simple improvement.

Hope that helps.

Harold

Jean-Claude Gervais wrote:
Hi,

I've added a second video card to my computer and am running Windows with a
large (2048x768) desktop.

I'd like to run XWin like that too, but it and all the other apps only
maximize on ONE of the screens.

Although if a window is not maximized and can be sized, I can stretch it
across both screens, I figure there must be a better way.

	Does anyone here know anything about this?

Jean-Claude