Re: Rootless Mode is an Important and Needed Feature

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Good point Alexander.

On a side note: Why is it that XDarwin has so many people contributing code and features (they seem to have an OpenGL-passthrough system now, which is pretty amazing), while Cygwin/XFree86 has so few contributors? This seems contradictory because Windows is on 95% of desktops while Mac OS X is only on < 1% (~20% of Apple's 5% market share are running Mac OS X).

That question will probably always baffle me.
Up until the past year or so, porting to Cygwin was a little more difficult than
porting application to OSX. Don't forget, the Cygwin folks have had to
write more of the layers of the *NIX environment whereas the OSX folks
have a nice (and complete) *NIX environment handed to them on a
plate.

I have been using Cygwin for years now and I would say the momentum,
user base, and usability is definitely increasing.