Re: GTK+ for XFree86 cygwin - Window or Unix src files? And other windows dll's really.

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:26:30 -0700 (PDT), Brian Rowe <schwaa98@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>If I want GTK+ for use on cygwin and Xfree86.  Let's
>say I want to compile Dillo for the XFree86 server.
>Do I get the Windows version of GTK or the unix
>version?

Assume Cygwin=unix. In the absence of gcc being passed the "-mno-cygwin"
flag you should expect most source trees to configure themselves for
unix/X.

>At a basic level can I link to Windows libraries
>(which they all are since I am on windows) and expect
>the code to work in XFree86 on Cygwin?  I haven't
>tried this yet, obviously.

"No". Distinction needs to be made between "windows libraries" and
"windows dll". No for the former, yes for the latter provided you have a
tool to generate the former for compiler in question. Don't be concerned
with this. All the libraries exist.

>I know people have gotten Dillo to work, so GTK must
>work, but which version.
>Should one always chose a version over another?
>thanks

Dillo compiles OOTB, or will once you've got enough of its requirements
installed. These are the versions lurking about on my system...

glib-1.2.10
gtk+-1.2.10
gdk-pixbuf-0.10.1
imlib-1.9.10

...iirc dillo only needs the first two. I don't recall gtk having any
xfree issues so we're probably going off-topic. Email if you get really
stuck.

--
swamp-dog@ntlworld.com