x apps cant start from bash

Hi
 - having a strange problem here.  Just installed a fresh install of
Cygwin / Xfree.  startxwin.bat works, and an xterm appears.  From that
xterm I can start other xapps and they work.

BUT, from another cygwin bash shell, started independently, I get the
following error
xterm XT error: Can't open display:

I have tried with numerous variations in the DISPLAY variable
localhost:0
localhost:0.0
127.0.0.1:0
127.0.0.1:0.0
192.168.1.150:0.0

etc

I have done a tracert on all those addresses, and my routing seems ok,
that is packets for the localhost don't get routed out into the network
where the router might frig with them.

Xwin.log shows no signs of having refused the connections.  So I am
guessing that the request never made it to the Xserver.

The problem I am ultimately trying to solve, is to get a remote connection
tunnelled over openSSH or putty.  I have that setup on another machine,
and working well.  there are two differences with this machine - this OS
is WinME not Win2K, and this one lives behind a LinkSys router.

Anyway, I think I should get the local set up working right first before
trying to diagnose the SSH part.  I don't see, though, why the router
should stop packets from the localhost.  There is no firewall software on
this machine.

Has anyone seen this before?  Can anyone suggest where else to look?

Thanks much
Rupert B.

Rupert Brooks
McGill Centre for Intelligent Machines (www.cim.mcgill.ca)