Trying to build graphical applications for Cygwin - Please help

Hello all,
First of all, I apologize for the length of this post. I have done a lot of
reading, downloading, and building and I am stuck. I am somewhat new to using
Cygwin but I have been an embedded systems engineer for 15 years so I am not new
to computers.

I am trying to get the following packages to run on my Cygwin/XFree86:
1) Eterm-0.9.1 - an enhanced terminal program that allows backgrounds
2) gpsim-0.20.14 - a Microchip PIC simulation package

Trying to build Eterm, it requires imlib. I downloaded imlib- 2.1.06. The
configure fails, looking for shmat().  I sent a message to the cygwin list, and
received a reply from J. Larsen directing me to load Cygipc, which I did. This
time the configure fails looking for XShmAttach().

To build gpsim, I need glib and GTK+, pkg-config, and gtk+extra-0.99.17
I tried building the lastest versions of glib and GTK, 2.0.6, with no luck. I
backed up to the 1.2.8 version, and that builds, but the built version fails the
testglib.exe file, seg faults on string test.
I went to the maillist, and downloaded Lupo's glib 1.2.10 and GTK+1.2.10.
Tried to build gtk+extra, and during the configure stage, a Windows messagebox
comes up and says that I am missing "shmat" for X11.  Configure completed but
said I have an invalid version of GTK+.

OK, several things may be going on. I think I am having the same problem with
both builds.

1. I am running Cygipc as a service on Win2K. Do I need to do something else,
like re-build XFree86? Is there a site with instructions?
2. What else is required to get imlib and GTK+ to work correctly? Has anybody
been able to do so, or am I trying to do something Cygwin cannot perform?
3. I saw one post which indicated a problem with FAT-32. Is NTFS a requirement
to run Cygwin/XFree86 on Win2K?

I don't want to waste anybody's time, but I would really appreciate any help
offered. I know that eveybody's time is valuable (I promised a patch to the
WxWindows group over a month ago I haven't gotten to yet :-(  ), but getting
gpsim is a fairly high priority for me.

Thanks to all in advance

Robert Cavanaugh
Senior Firmware Engineer