xwinclip problem/puzzle

My wife's Windows config at home now is very functional, thanks to
Cygwin and Cygwin-xfree (thanks Christopher, Harold, and everone else!)

But, we still can't get copy and paste between XFree86 and Windows...

xwinclip works exactly as advertised, but its insistence on de-selecting
as it copies to the Windows clipboard means that a broad range of user
interface actions inside X become impossible.

One example is where you have to select an item from a list before
applying some action to the selection; or selecting a piece of text for
cut and paste.

At home, my wife had to stop using xwinclip because of this.

Could it be changed to not do this selection-clearing?  I got the
impression it was only done so that you knew the copy-to-Windows-
clipboard action had happened.

But I'm quite happy to take that on faith!  At least, could there be a
command line option to turn off this activity?

luke