Re: Invoking rootless mode

Sam Edge was recently quoted as saying...

> You wrote in <3DAE7116.7010407@visicon-online.de>
> in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:13:10 +0200:
>
> > oh how I miss the "focus
> > follows mouse" function within windows, just to mention one
>
> At the expense of being somewhat off topic and sounding like a
> Microsoft UI aficionado you can get this behaviour out of most
> versions of Windows if you install Microsoft Tweak UI. (Some versions
> need the XMouse powertoy instead - also from Microsoft.)

At the expense of sounding like a picky naysayer, XMouse never worked
consistently similar to any other X wm's focus-follows-mouse behaviour
that I ever used. And it will never work like Fvwm2 SloppyFocus, which
I've become addicted to. :)

As for rootless mode, I'd throw out some other caveats and
recommendations:

* I'm using a Win32 virtual pager. When XWin is active, even in rootless
mode, the window covers up the page in the virtual display. (Yes I know
why, and this is with JSPager, perhaps there are shape-aware virt pagers
for Win32.)

* I recommend running this mode with the X server set to run
always-on-top. Right now I'm using a tool called Make Always On Top to
make XWin.exe this way, perhaps I could suggest that XWin.exe include this
ability as a command-line and/or icon-menu option.

Right now I'm using Chris's patched binary, set sticky in my Win32 pager,
and Always On Top via that tool. I've moved my fvwm root-window menus to
be invoked via an added title button on all fvwm windows, and turned on
the titlebar for one of my X sticky windows so that I can always access
it. I then get myself into the habit of manually minimizing X apps when I
need to use a large Win32 app. This is a bit of a minor inconvenience, but
the always-on-top has the benefit of making my X icons, winlist and pager
window always available.

In the meantime, I've trimmed off two pages of my X virtual desktop, two
pages off my Windows virtual desktop, and turned off the overhead caused
by my X root-pattern switcher (FvwmBacker). I'm enjoying this desktop
paradigm.

Keith D. Tyler                                keith@keithtyler.com
Federal Way, WA                          http://www.keithtyler.com
           If Tyrrany and Oppresion come to this land,
      it will be under the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
           - James Madison, U.S. President 1809-1817