Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated Cygwin/XFree86 Package: x2x-1.27-2

Jean-Claude,

So, what you really want is to be able to say ``start screen 0 on physical monitor x'', right? That way the rootless X would pop up on the desired monitor. Additionally, you want to make sure that the sreen size is not reduced by the size of the taskbar, which is not present on the pysical monitor that X will be displayed on? I think I can work something like that.

I am actually in a slightly better position to help you now too. I don't have two monitors (I gave the old one away, to get it out of my sight), but I do have two video cards and a dual-input monitor that I can easily switch between inputs on. Thus, I can setup a rudimentary dual-display system that I can at least use to test if dual displays are handled correctly.

I may give this a try, but this is going to be a rough week with programming projects for my classes, so it may have to wait a little while.

Harold

Jean-Claude Gervais wrote:

Thomas - Yes, I've tried invoking XWin from the second display, but no dice.
Harold - Yup, of course; all good things take time. I'm currently learning
more and more about X anyway, so I might even be able to help out at some
point; It seems that to be able to contribute to a project like Cygwin, you
have to know Win32 and *nix equally well.

Here's the work-around that I've found; brace yourselves -

I grab the taskbar and drag it onto the second display (the reason for this
will become clearer in a moment)
Using the "-engine 1", I start XWin in rootless mode (Yay! Rootless mode
rocks!)
I drag the taskbar back to the primary display, now that XWin has calculated
the window-size excluding the task-bar.
I right-click on XWin's taskbar icon and select MOVE, then I use the
arrow-keys to move XWin's display across to the other screen, and press
enter once it's properly positioned.

Alternatively, I could just LEAVE the taskbar on the second display, but
then I have a problem remote-controlling the box with another Microsoft gem,
Netmeeting.

Thanks for your reading.