Re: Xwin, XDM and Solaris

try using this

set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1
start /B xwin -ac -noreset -screen 0 1152 864 -query "Host_ip_address" -fp
tcp/host_ip_address:7100 -from my_local_ip_address &

also make sure on the solaris box in /etc/inetd.conf that you have not comment
out the line (this is for your fonts)

fs              stream  tcp     wait nobody /usr/openwin/lib/fs.auto    fs

hope this helps
Eli

>Subject: Xwin, XDM and Solaris
>To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>From: "Adam Young" <ayoung@erggroup.com>
>Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:58:39 +0000
>

>I've been attempting over a period to use XWin (current stable) via xdm
>running on a Solaris 2.8 host without any success, as the
>xdm server always resolves the display name as "Starting display
>0.0.0.0:0,XWIN".  Ideas ?
>
>Thanks in advance

>XWin host:     (10.247.32.243)
>     Xwin -query 10.247.32.5 -class XWIN
>
>Solaris host:  (10.247.32.5)
>     # /usr/openwin/bin/xdm -debug 1
>     DisplayManager.errorLogFile/DisplayManager.ErrorLogFile value
>/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors
>     DisplayManager.daemonMode/DisplayManager.DaemonMode value true
>     DisplayManager.pidFile/DisplayManager.PidFile value
>/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-pid
>     DisplayManager.lockPidFile/DisplayManager.LockPidFile value true
>     DisplayManager.authDir/DisplayManager.authDir value
>/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm
>     DisplayManager.autoRescan/DisplayManager.AutoRescan value true
>     DisplayManager.removeDomainname/DisplayManager.RemoveDomainname value
>true
>     DisplayManager.keyFile/DisplayManager.KeyFile value
>/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
>     DisplayManager.accessFile/DisplayManager.AccessFile value
>/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
>     DisplayManager.exportList/DisplayManager.ExportList value
>     DisplayManager.randomFile/DisplayManager.RandomFile value /dev/mem
>     DisplayManager.greeterLib/DisplayManager.GreeterLib value
>/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so
>     DisplayManager.choiceTimeout/DisplayManager.ChoiceTimeout value 15
>     creating socket 177
>     Created chooser socket 5
>     WaitForSomething
>     select returns 1.  Rescan: 0  ChildReady: 0
>     ProcessRequestSocket
>     header: 1 2 1
>     Query respond 1
>     ConvertAddr returning 0 for family 2
>     all_query_respond: conntype=0, addr=a, len=4
>     Send willing  Willing to manage
>     WaitForSomething
>     select returns 1.  Rescan: 0  ChildReady: 0
>     ProcessRequestSocket
>     header: 1 7 68
>     Request respond 68
>     FindProtoDisplay
>     NewProtoDisplay
>     NewProtoDisplay 0x28b98
>     Got 0x24340 (18 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1)
>     Accept Session ID 317952001
>     WaitForSomething
>     select returns 1.  Rescan: 0  ChildReady: 0
>     ProcessRequestSocket
>     header: 1 10 12
>     Manage 12
>     FindProtoDisplay
>     Manage Session ID 317952001, pdpy 0x28b98
>     Computed display name: 0.0.0.0:0              <==== why ????
>     ConvertAddr returning 0 for family 2
>     Starting display 0.0.0.0:0,XWIN
>     StartDisplay 0.0.0.0:0

> [...]