Emacs in XWin is performing oddly

I have installed all of the cygwin emacs packages and I now am
experiencing problems with emacs with the X server.  Launching emaces
causes one of the following:

1) the application never displays its window (CPU utilization to 100%)
2) the application displays its window but it is unresponsive (CPU
utilization to 100%)
3) About 1 in 4 times it runs correctly even after a clean reboot of the
PC

Any clues would be very helpful.

thanks in advance,
jim drash