From: Randall R Schulz [mailto:rrschulz@cris.com]
Sent: dinsdag 12 november 2002 18:09
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Questions on Xwin.exe arguments

Vola,

Are you imploring some university to answer your questions? If you're
addressing a human being from whom you wish to solicit an answer to your
questions, then please use the English word "you."

While I am just one man and most certainly not an institution of any kind,
I can tell you that window activation behavior in X is handled by the
window manager. By default, twm uses the "classic" X focus-follows-mouse
behavior. If twm allows this to be changed, the twm documentation probably
holds that answer to how. Look for the word "focus" or "Focus" for
starters. Also read the options regarding window raising behavior ("raise"
/ "Raise").

By the way, the activation behavior you want (that expected by most
personal computer users who've never used X) is the default in Window
Maker. Perhaps you'd like to try it. It's a lot "fancier" than twm, which
you may or may not find desirable. Twm is pretty much the most elementary
window manager available for XFree86/Cygwin. The next step up in terms of
features and sophistication would be "fvwm2." I think it also has the kind
of default window activation behavior you want.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 08:44 2002-11-12, you wrote:
>Hi!
>I am running XWindo under Windows95 using the startxwin.bat where I have
>
>start XWin   -emulate3buttons 100
>run xterm -bg white -fg black -bd blue -ms blue  -e 'source ~/.login' &
>run twm
>run xsetroot -solid blue
>
>Do U know what should I have with XWin.exe so that the xterm behaves the
>way it
>behaves under LINUX, i.e when U have 2 xterm windows one over the other
>and U go
>to one of them and click your mouse and that xterm becomes active. Whereas
>what
>I see now is that I have to click the Top Border of the xterm to make it
>Active;
>
>I would Greatly Appreciate if U suggest something I should do.....
>[by the way I used -lesspointer option to find out the same behavior!!!]
>
>Thanks in advance,
>regards,
>vola

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
You are explicitly requested to notify the sender of this email that the intended recipient was not reached.