Re: X11 and Heavy loadbalancing?

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:57 pm, choice15@gmx.de wrote:
> > I don't understand what you want to do. The XServer is bound to a output
> > device. So there is no way to let a cluster do the work for it.
>
> Ok i try it more detailed again to describe:
>
>  An J2EE (Java) implemented Applicationserver act as an
> centralized Server instance for Java writen Applications.
> The main Benefit of an J2EE conform Applicationserver is,
>  to write code in Java as an non-visual Programm, thadt can on
> the fly integrated into the running Appserver to add an Feature.
> Typical Serverdriven Applications such as SMTP, POP, IMAP4,
>  Telnet, Fileservice or waht ever) without the needs to implement
> first an  TCP-Server Socket to host the Next Layer (the Serviceprotocol
> such as HTTP).
> The Only things to do is to implement the Serviceprotocol such as
> RFC 1945 HTTP 1.0.
>
> > The XClients work over network. So there is no problem with spreading
> > them on a cluster.
>
> Loadbalancing, Scalability, Avaiability is only a Task of the Appserver,
> and its Environment (in an Oracle Realapplicationcluster the AppServer
> can be connected to other AppServers to share its Performance ressouces
> to the involved System automatically and takes care for Failover
> Situations)
>
> For Example:
> Oracle has implement an E-Mailserver as an J2EE Container
> for the Oracle AppServer. If you have 2x Machines the Power aof Your
> E-mailsystems automatically scales up the Performance (while Sharing Client
> Tasks
> like MS-Outlook)
>
> My simple Questions is:
>  Is there an Java based  (EJB) X11R6 J2EE 1.2 / 1.3 Servercontainer
> Software released
> thadt can act as Part of an J2EE Applicationserver to act  as  an
> X11-Server?

On the whole I still have no idea what you are saying either.  My guess is
that you are confused about the terms 'Server' and 'Client' in the X context.
The 'X Server' runs on the machine that the user is sitting in front of.  It
does not run the applications, it just draws picutre on the screen.  In the
Citrix world it would be considered the client (terminal).  The X application
can be pretty much anything, running as part of a distributed application or
whatever.

I know I've read about using a linux mosix cluster with XDMCP ('X Terminal
Clients').  In this case, the machine the user sits in front of could be a
P100, but all their applications would be running on a Linux cluster.  To add
more computing power, you just add more nodes to the cluster.  It doesn't
have anything to do with Java though.

Just to be clear again.  X applications do not run on the X Server.  They run
on the application server, and they simply talk to the X Server (ie, your
screen).  A 486DX66 with a good graphics card will make a passible X Server
(but a hopeless application server).  I think your question has nothing to do
with X Servers at all, but application servers.  Do a search on Linux
clustering, or have a look at Mosix.

Rasjid.