Re: depth in pixmap

Kris,

You gathered correctly.

The depth parameter is only used in fullscreen mode where we can actually change the display depth to match the requested depth. In windowed mode we are stuck with the display depth that Windows is currently running at.

Other X Servers support 8 bit visuals on top of 24 bit visuals, but Cygwin/XFree86 does not currently have this support. There is an experimental feature (enabled with -pseudoemulation, I think) that creates an 8 bit visual, however, this visual does not have a real colormap and we do not translate between colormap colors and 24 bit colors... in other words, the colors will be all messed up, but you may find this acceptable.

Harold

Thielemans, Kris wrote:

Hi,

do I gather correctly from the FAQ that it is impossible to open an depth 8
window and display and 8 depth ZPixmap on a 24 bit depth screen?

It seems that the depth settings are largerly ignored (aside from size
issues). That is, I don't seem to get an error message at all when I ask for
8bit depth, but then it does not seem to work properly.

Is this a general restrictiion of X servers, or only of XFree on Windows?

Oh, while I'm taking some bandwith here. Can anybody point me to some online
documentation on how to put up a bitmap in 24bit mode? (I'm constructing my
bitmap myself, and do that in 8bit mode with ZPixmap that essentially
indexes in a colormap, but I get the impression that my ZPixmap has to be
24bit per pixel now. What format is it in? Is the colormap ignored?)

Thanks for any help!

Kris Thielemans