From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
Of Harold L Hunt
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 10:27 AM
To: willichnicht habichnet; cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in
win98SE

First: Wrong mailing list. Send all Cygwin/XFree86 questions to
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com. I have redirected this discussion to the correct

if

you reply to this message.

Second: Read the extensive comments in startxwin.bat that talk about
CYGWIN_ROOT. Not specifying a drive causes the path to reference \cygwin

on

the current drive (such as c:\cygwin, or d:\cygwin). You have to run
startxwin.bat from the same drive that Cygwin is installed on, or it won't

get

the correct drive letter.

startxwin.bat has been using this path setting system for over a year (I
think) and not a *single* person has reported a problem with it until

today.

You must be doing something on your system that other users thought better

of

(such as running startxwin.bat from the d drive, or from a network drive,

when

Cygwin is installed on the c drive).

I have to disagree. Absence of complaints does not imply absence of errors.
Many people become "used to" buggy software that only works if you don't
deviate
from the well-trodden path. That's no excuse to fail to fix a known
problem.

The comments you mention:
REM
REM The path in the CYGWIN_ROOT environment variable assignment assume
REM that Cygwin is installed in a directory called 'cygwin' in the root
REM directory of the current drive. You will only need to modify
REM CYGWIN_ROOT if you have installed Cygwin in another directory. For
REM example, if you installed Cygwin in \foo\bar\baz\cygwin, you will need
REM to change \cygwin to \foo\bar\baz\cygwin.
REM
REM This batch file will almost always be run from the same drive (and
REM directory) as the drive that contains Cygwin/XFree86, therefore you will
REM not need to add a drive letter to CYGWIN_ROOT. For example, you do
REM not need to change \cygwin to c:\cygwin if you are running this
REM batch file from the C drive.
REM
don't explain what is wrong with adding a drive lettter, only that
it "almost always" works because the drive letter already matches.

You need the drive letter to make an absolute path.
(By the way, "." is redundant in a Windows path anyway.)

Harold

willichnicht habichnet <tbb_666@yahoo.com> said:

i installed cygwin/XFree86 with the recommended
setup.exe in win98SE.
starting X with startxwin.bat resulted in
errormessages like "cygwin1.dll not found" etc.
in startxwin.bat there was a line "SET
CYGWIN_ROOT=\cygwin" which seemed to be incorrect
because theres no drive given.
after editing it to "SET CYGWIN_ROOT=c:\cygwin"
(installation path) everything works fine.
i installed it on a win2000 too without these problems
but on an other win98-system same corrupted
startxwin.bat was there.
i have not tried an other installation directory or
drive.
this message is only for information; i need no other
solution.

Michael Heide