Re: startxwin.bat - errors after that

From: "Konstantin N. Kudin" <kostya@rice.edu>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Subject: startxwin.bat - errors after that
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:22:04 -0600 (CST)

 Hello all,

 I've tried to upgrade Cygwin and started to run into problems when
starting X via startxwin.bat Once it is started and I get the X windows
and an xterm, I tried to open another xterm by typing >xterm &
However, it gives the followling error message that I have not seen
before:

      7 [main] xterm 1772 sync_with_child: child 1808(0x48C) died before
initialization with status code 0x80
   4484 [main] xterm 1772 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading
dlls
xterm: Error 29, errno 11: Resource temporarily unavailable

 Earlier versions of Cygwin/Xfree worked fine. Thinking that the
installation packages might have gotten corrupted, I did a clean download
and reinstall. This did not change a thing, I still get the same error
message. The system is W2k with SP2. It is weird that Cygwin did not
create my user name during the initialization so I had to edit the
/etc/passwd file to put it there. Also I changed my default shell to
/usr/bin/tcsh. This is probably irrelevant however.
Just a shot in the dark here. Do a search on your system for the file "cygwin1.dll". Make sure there is only one, and that it's in the cygwin tree (c:\cygwin\usr\bin\cygwin1.dll by default).

 The startx command still seem to work fine. I would like to pass some
options to XWin as I did before with the startxwin.bat file, however, I am
not sure how to do this via startx.

 Any suggestions/help is appreciated!

 Regards,
 Konstantin
Running "man startx" from a bash prompt tells you everything you could ever want to know about startx. In short, to pass parameters to the XServer, use this syntax "startx -- -serverparm". For example:

startx -- -rootless

tells startx to tell XWin to start in rootless mode.