setx cannot append network font path?

After starting xwin with "startx &", using a customized .xinitrc to start icewm, I am unable to append a network font
path using the xset command, as in

xset fp+ tcp/server_name:server_port

This hangs the x server, and requires me to kill it using alt-F-4.

On the other hand, if I start the server with

startx -- -fp tcp/server_name:serverport &

the server does start without hanging, and appears to use the network font server successfully.

There doesn't seem to be a way to append to the font path using startx, because extra arguments eventually get passed to
xwin, which only allows a complete specification of the font path, rather than allowing prepends, appends, deletes, etc
as in xset.  So the apparent bug in xset seems to be a roadblock to what I want to accomplish.