From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf Of Curt Lindner
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 9:10 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Can't Get XDMCP Login on Mandrake 9.0 Box from XP

I'm a complete Linux/Cygwin/Xfree newbie, so please go easy on me!

I've been banging my head the last few evenings to try and set up Xfree on
my XP machine to allow me to have remote sessions on a PC I have running
Mandrake 9.0.  I have read everything I can find on the newsgroups and on
the cygwin websites, and the how-to's and mini-how-to's on the LDP site.
I've set all the settings I can find to set in Xaccess, xdm-config, kdmrc,
etc., etc.  I cannot solve this problem.

I can start Xfree86 on my XP box using the batch file provided with the
standard installation.  I can telnet into the Mandrake box.  I can use
"xhosts +", then export the DISPLAY to my XP machine, and successfully open
an xterm/emacs/etc session on the XP machine.    I can also run VNC just
fine both ways (XP to Mandrake & Mandrake to XP).  I can also use Terminal
Services from Mandrake to XP.

So, why can't I get a login screen when I edit the batch file to start XWin
using "-query mandrake-ip, -from xp-ip" ??

I always thought I knew my way around an operating system, I know how to set
up router filters, but man, this has really humbled me!!  :-)  I'm amazed
that you folks can keep this stuff straight!

Thanks in advance for any pointers that might be provided.  I really don't
want to use VNC, as it's not as refined as the X windows option.  I'm sure
you folks agree!

-Curt