RE: xwinclip usage?

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 17:08, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Marc,
>
> Thanks for providing some actual data.  That is very useful, even though it
> proved me wrong.

Ok, hold the presses.  You can pretty ignore everything I've been
telling you.  I don't believe you were wrong after all.  I made a
mistake.  Probably several of them.  My deepest apologies.  Time for
some humble pie.  Yum.

Back in the lab (ok, my home office) I couldn't duplicate my previous
results.  After much hand wringing, I concluded that I hadn't been
paying attention to what I had been changing in my bat file.
Specifically the -ac switch.  It wasn't until your last message that I
came to realize that.  Please pass the pie.

My previous bat file - which I've been successfully using for months -
looked like this:

SET PATH=c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\bin;%PATH%
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
start c:\cygwin\usr\x11r6\bin\xwin -ac -query 192.168.0.10
sleep 40
start /m xwinclip
exit

1) Using this exact bat file with the latest XWin.exe and xwinclip.exe
***DOES*** work. (XWin-test74 and xwinclip-08).  Just as before.

2) By simply removing -ac and changing nothing else, XWin produces my
xcmcp session fine but xwinclip gives the following:

UnicodeSupport - Windows 95/98/Me
Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Could not open display, try: 1, sleeping: 4
Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Could not open display, try: 2, sleeping: 4
Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Could not open display, try: 3, sleeping: 4
Failed opening the display, giving up

I tried this with several versions of XWin going back to Test65 and two
versions of xwinclip with similar, if not identical, results.  It would
seem I need that -ac switch.

3) Since my ultimate goal is to be able to run with the -clipboard
switch, I tried running the following bat file (notice the switches)
with Test74:

SET PATH=c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\bin;%PATH%
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
start c:\cygwin\usr\x11r6\bin\xwin -query 192.168.0.10 -clipboard
exit

This produces no obvious errors but doesn't allow for copy/paste to
work.

4) Modifying the preceding bat file by adding the -ac switch causes my
xdmcp session to behave strangely - my login screen appears but upon
completing the user name and password and hitting Enter, my session
disappears.  What reappears a few seconds later is my login screen once
again.  I can continue this cycle (logging in with each new login
screen) until I get a fatal Windows error.

So it would seem that I am stuck running the latest XWin and xwinclip
the old fashioned way, stand alone, for now.  I need to be running like
#1 i.e. with the -ac switch.

n.b.  An excerpt of my log from #3 (-clipboard and no -ac switch):
winFinishScreenInitFB - Calling winInitClipboard.
winInitClipboard ()
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
InitOutput - Returning.
(EE) No primary keyboard configured
(==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)"
Options = "(null)"
winClipboardProc - Hello
winClipboardProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
winClipboardProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winClipboardProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winClipboardProc - XInitThreads () returned.
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows 95/98/Me
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
AUDIT: Sat Jan 25 09:45:04 2003: 493797 XWIN: client 1 rejected from IP
127.0.0.1 port 3524
winClipboardProc - Could not open display, try: 1, sleeping: 4
AUDIT: Sat Jan 25 09:45:08 2003: 493797 XWIN: client 4 rejected from IP
127.0.0.1 port 3912
winClipboardProc - Could not open display, try: 2, sleeping: 4
AUDIT: Sat Jan 25 09:45:12 2003: 493797 XWIN: client 4 rejected from IP
127.0.0.1 port 4001
winClipboardProc - Could not open display, try: 3, sleeping: 4
winClipboardProc - Failed opening the display, giving up
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file

n.b. An excerpt of my log from #4 (-clipboard with -ac switch):
winFinishScreenInitFB - Calling winInitClipboard.
winInitClipboard ()
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
InitOutput - Returning.
(EE) No primary keyboard configured
(==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)"
Options = "(null)"
winClipboardProc - Hello
winClipboardProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
winClipboardProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winClipboardProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winClipboardProc - XInitThreads () returned.
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows 95/98/Me
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file

Once again, my sincerest apologies for previously misleading you and the
list.  I hope these latest test results can somehow bring you closer to
getting a working -clipboard switch for xdmcp sessions.

Marc