RE: Can't Get XDMCP Login on Mandrake 9.0 Box from XP

Even though I wasn't part of your original discussion I'm going to jump
in here anyway.

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 16:21, Curt Lindner wrote:
> Well, you were right, when I had logged out of the automatic login, the kdm
> was running.
>
> However, I still am unable to get a login prompt from the XP machine using
> "xwin -query [mandrake] -from [xp]".  I still only get the blank X windows
> screen with the "x" cursor.

I got my gdm (Gnome) remote log in working without too terribly much
hassle.  If I knew the first thing about about KDE I'd offer assistance.

> Also, I just spent 30 minutes looking at every possible configuration
> program/menu option for dealing with users and login, and the only option I
> saw for automatically logging in was unchecked.  But, it does automatically
> log me in.
>
> Harold, you've been really responsive, and I certainly appreciate that.
> But, I must also say I'm surprised that these tools don't work better with
> one another out of the box, so to speak.  I guess I'm just spoiled by
> Microsoft.

Ok, hold on a moment.  How were you spoiled by MS?  The fact that you
could set up a server without cracking open a book or read a manual?
I'm fairly certain that it was people like that who were the main root
cause of the spread of the code red worm.  Easier != better.  Some
computer functions, particularly server functions, actually take a
little time to learn, whether it's MS, Linux, or VMS.

> If it takes me this long to get this working, just think how long it will
> take to set up Samba, mail servers, web servers, database, etc.

Every one of those services comes with a learning curve.  I don't know
about you, but I wasn't born knowing any of the material required to
pass my MCSE.  It took time.  Same goes for Linux.  It probably is true
that MS makes their server installation easy enough that a chimpanzee
could do it.  That doesn't make it right however.  Setting up most MS
server installations *correctly* takes time and skills.  Same with
Linux.

When I first started learning about Linux, I chose not to learn from a
classroom.  I bought a book.  Red Hat Bible, if memory serves.  Then I
subscribed to a dozen or more mailing lists.  Then I performed a ton of
googling.  And I read: man pages, web sites, etc.  Anything I could get
my hands on.  And you know what?  In a couple months time I had all
those services (and more) you mentioned running and running well.  Was
the effort worth it?  For me, yes.  And by an order of magnitude at
that.

If I inferred a meaning from your post that wasn't intended, my
apologies.