Re: XFree86 lockup with screensaver

The XFree86-4.2.0-23 (Test75) package contained a fix that could be related to your coworker's problems:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/shadow/changelog.html

You don't seem to be having as many propblems, so please upgrade your coworker to XFree86-4.2.0-25 (the latest release) and see if that helps at all.

Let us know how it works,

Harold

Abraham Backus wrote:
Hello,

I've encountered this once today and a coworker of mine is encountering it
frequenty.  When the windows system goes into screensaver mode and he comes
back, X is locked up and he can't do anything.  He has to forcibly kill the
X processes and restart.  It happens every time for him and I had him do
various things like minimizing and restoring the XFree86 window, as well as
checking with XFree86 in the foreground, background, or minimized.  Also, he
says it happens regardless of which screensaver is selected.

When it happened to me, I noticed that XWin.exe was taking up a considerable
amount of CPU (it was at 100%) from windows task manager.  I haven't been
able to reproduce it since then.

I've searched the mailing list archives and wasn't able to find anything
related to this.  Maybe someone else has encountered this or knows what's
up?

thanks!
-Abe

His box:
Windows 2000 SP3
cygwin-1.3.18-1
fvwm-2.4.7-2
XFree86-base-4.2.0-1
XFree86-bin-4.2.0-2
XFree86-etc-4.2.0-1
XFree86-fenc-4.2.0-2
XFree86-fnts-4.2.0-2
XFree86-lib-4.2.0-3
XFree86-startup-scripts-4.2.0-3
XFree86-xserv-4.2.0-15
X startup parameters: "C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c startx"

My box:
Windows XP Home SP1
cygwin 1.3.19-1
fvwm-2.4.14-1
XFree86-base-4.2.0-1
XFree86-bin-4.2.0-2
XFree86-etc-4.2.0-1
XFree86-fenc-4.2.0-2
XFree86-fnts-4.2.0-2
XFree86-lib-4.2.0-3
XFree86-man-4.2.0-1
XFree86-prog-4.2.0-1
XFree86-startup-scripts-4.2.0-3
XFree86-xserv-4.2.0-25
X startup parameters: "C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c
"XWin -rootless -emulate3buttons -clipboard""