Re: altGR key problem with windows XP

Alain,

The problem with Andreas Schessner's patch was that it modified functions that were not being compiled in the default build. I asked him where the missing parts of the patch were, but he never responded. I don't know if he just gave up or if he realized that his patch maybe didn't have the effect that he thought it did. In any case, we no longer have a valid report of that problem... if you can contact Andreas Schessner and ask him for the rest of his patch, then perhaps we can get somewhere. Until then, I can only assume that he made some sort of mistake and decided to keep quiet about it :) Seriously, what else can I think when someone stops helping to get their patch committed?

Harold

alain perrier wrote:
Thanks for your help but XF86Config or xmodmap works fine to map to a french keyboard but don't solve the AltGR problem. It seem this problem
was encountered by other people. I found a message thread ont it in mailling list archive...

On November 03 , Andreas Schessner wrote :
"I use the X server of Cygwin/XFree86 (XWin) and it is working fine on my Windows 2000 Workstation but running the same version on my Notebook (Windows XP) causes problems with the AltGr handling.

I've noticed that pressing the AltGr Key produces a
KeyPress-Control_L
KeyPress-Mode_switch
KeyRelease-Control_L
KeyRelease-Mode_switch
event sequence (see xev output at the end of this mail).

I began to trace the code (winkeybd.c, function winIsFakeCtrl_L) and
found out that on my XP notebook the windows messages VK_CONTROL (the
faked Control_L) and VK_MENU don't have the same timestamp and it is not
always possible to get the following VK_MENU message by issuing the
PeekMessage().
I don't know if this problem is relating to my Notebook (Dell Latitude)
or to Windows XP. Are there other people having the same problems?"

And Harold L Hunt II answered:
"Interesting. I think you may have found the reason (and solution) for why a select few users with non-U.S. keyboard layouts are still having problems with fake Control_L presses and releases."

Does Harold ( or anybody ) made a patch in the current release to solve this problem ? Is there other people still having the same problem?