Re: using rxvt with other shells

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Karl North wrote:

> Thanks for the input . . .
>
> Yes, I'm silly (or desperate) enough to be running a non-CYGWIN shell
> in a CYGWIN rxvt window.  Some of our heritage application software
> depends on this shell.  It's a long and ugly story.
>
> But, I found the problem, or at least a working solution.  So in case
> someone out there gives a damn, here's the skinny.
>
> * does NOT work:        rxvt -e c:/mksnt/sh.exe -L
>
> * does work:    rxvt -e c:/mksnt/sh.exe -i -L
>
> The problem was not in my initialization steps, although there might well
> have been a cure to the problem along those lines.
>
> According to the MKS documentation, the default behavior of the shell is
> to run as an interactive shell, so the use of "-i" should be redundant.
> Well, it appears that you can modify the shell behavior by explicitly using
> the "-i" parameter.  It's not clear to me, but I'm not going to dig any
> further right now.  It's now behaving as desired.
>
> I'm still curious though.  Maybe someday when I have more time to kill.
>
> Again, thanks to all for the input!
>
> K. North

MKS ksh does not understand that rxvt provides it with a tty (it's geared
towards a Windows console window), so it doesn't switch to interactive
mode.
FYI, pdksh (<http://web.cs.mun.ca/~michael/pdksh/>) compiles OOTB on
Cygwin and is a fully conformant ksh implementation.  If all you need is
ksh, there you go.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune