Re: XFree86: Removing dummy root window on Rootless/Multiwindow mode

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:15:40PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
[...]
> There is, however, a dummy root window when you run with -multiwindow.
>
> Search the mailing list archives to my multiple responses on how
> easy/hard removing that dummy window may be.
>
> ed wrote:
[...]
> >	My question is this: Is it possible to run Cygwin Xfree
> >-rootless without having to have the dummy root window? If not, why
> >not?

In case somebody ever takes steps to remove the root window, I want to
suggest to keep it as an option. I like to de-iconify it to quickly
hide all windows not on that display, including all window manager
decorations. This is potentially useful to get a kind of "presentation
mode" for applications that don't have a "full-screen" mode built
in. One can even use xsetroot.

In the current version the root window also covers Windows' task
bar. Does that make the task manager the only common tool to get it
back to the iconified state? -- Daniel