Re: multiwindow crash on resolution 1280

JS,

The negative height was the subject of my recent bugfix. Please have your user install the latest XFree86-xserv package and see what happens.

Harold

J S wrote:
Harold,

Not sure why that call's there twice although I suspect the user may have sent me a bad cut and paste job of the log!

About startxwin.bat: Actually I just told him to start Xwin manually from the bash prompt as 'Xwin -ac -engine 1'.

I noticed this line also in his log where the depth is negative:

winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 1274 height: -994 depth:

Does that seem strange? Do you know what causes the stride to come out as zero?

Thanks for your help as always,

JS.

JS,

> winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Created shadow stride: 0

Well, at the least they have the problem where the stride is being calculated as zero... they shouldn't be able to run at all. Also... I don't understand why winAllocateFBShadowGDI is being called twice.

Here is what that section of the log should look like:

winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1394 height: 978 depth: 32
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 1394 height: 978 depth: 32 size image: 5453328
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Created shadow stride: 1394
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()

Note the positive shadow stride and the fact that winInitVisualsShadowGDI is only being called once.

I have no clue what is going on here. Basically I think that you have a less-than-cluefull user that is not telling you things that they have changed. I won't say anything more about this issue until I see their startxwin.bat file mailed in.

Harold

J S wrote:

And now, the correct error log! Sorry about that Harold. I'm told that Xwin failed to start this time as you said would happen:

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000013
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winSetEngine - Using user's preference: 1
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1280 h: 1024
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1280 h: 1024
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 1024 1280
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 0 1024 1280
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1274 h 994 r 1274 l 0 b 994 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Returning
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1274 height: 994 depth: 16
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 1274 height: -994 depth: 16 size imag
e: 2532712
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Created shadow stride: 0
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00007c00 000003e0 0000001f
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00007c00 000003e0 0000001f BPRGB 5 d 15 bpp 16
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00007c00 000003e0 0000001f
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00007c00 000003e0 0000001f BPRGB 5 d 15 bpp 16
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
InitOutput - Returning.
(EE) No primary keyboard configured
(==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(n
ull)"
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from
list!

JS,

Nope, you made a mistake.  See this line from the log file:
winSetEngine - Multi Window => ShadowGDI

You sent in your -multiwindow log file again. Notice that the log file ends in failure.

Harold

J S wrote:

Here you go Harold. This is the log from running

Xwin -ac -engine 1

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000013
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winSetEngine - Multi Window => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1280 h: 1024
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1280 h: 1024
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 1024 1280
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 0 1024 1280
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1280 h 1024 r 1280 l 0 b 1024 t
0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Returning
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1280 height: 1024 depth: 16
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 1280 height: -1024 depth: 16 size ima
ge: 2621440
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Shadow blit failure
winFinishScreenInitFB - Could not allocate framebuffer

winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Shadow blit failure
winFinishScreenInitFB - Could not allocate framebuffer
winScreenInit - winFinishScreenInit () failed

Fatal server error:
InitOutput - Couldn't add screen 0

JS,

That doesn't make any sense. There should not be any difference at all when running with ``-engine 1'' instead of ``-multiwindow'', as far as the DIB creation is concerned. The only thing I can think of is that this is perhaps running on a system with very little available memory at the time of startup... multiwindow mode might take just enough memory to make the allocation of memory for the DIB fail. That is the only thing that makes any sense.

Oh yeah, and I ask you to send in the log file from -engine 1, which would help in diagnosing this problem.

Harold

J S wrote:

Harold,

Sorry to reply to this so late. If he starts xwin with -engine 1 that works fine. The problem is that multiwindow seems to be the only mode that works with his application and it has to be run with this resolution.

JS,

What happens if he runs in 1280x1024 with "-engine 1" instead of
"-multiwindow"?

Please send in a log from that run. I suspect it will be the same.

Is 1280x1024 the maximum resolution that he can run in, or is there a higher
resolution that works just fine with -multiwindow? I am just trying to
figure out if this is a problem where the largest size is not possible but
anything smaller than that is okay, or if it is just that one size in the
middle has problems but all the rest are okay.

Oh yeah, and this was done with 4.2.0-25, right?

Thanks for testing,

Harold

I have a customer trying out multiwindow mode on windows 95. He usually has
his resolution set to 1280 x 1024, but for some reason multiwindow won't
work with this. If I change his display settings to anything else though, it
does work. Here is the log:

[...]

Thanks for any help,

JS.

Stay in touch with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk