XWin hangs when accessing font server

Hi,

I'm trying to use XWin 4.2.0-26 on Win 2k to log in to a few
Linux/Solaris boxes using XDMCP. Everything works fine (i.e. I'm getting
the login window and I can enter my user name and password) until I
reach the point in my xsession where I'm adding a font server to the
font path using this command:

xset fp+ tcp/fonts:7100

As soon as the xset commands runs, XWin locks up and consumes 100% CPU
time. The same happens if I don't use XDMCP and only start XWin and a
single xterm in which I type the xset command.

Needless to say that the font server works fine with other X-Servers
(XFree86 3.x and 4.x on Linux and XSun on Solaris). In case it matters,
it's a simple xfs 3.3.6 which serves a few PostScript fonts.

Any idea on how to prevent the lock-up? Alternatively, if I could
distinguish XWin from other X-Servers in my xsession, I could simply
skip the xset command for XWin. But the output from xpdyinfo looks
identical for XWin and XFree86/Linux.

Thanks,
Martin