From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu]
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 2:31 PM
To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
Subject: Re: More on my problem with installing XFree86 on Win2000

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Chizhik, Andrew wrote:

> After some digging around and manual unzipping and untaring, I've narrowed
> down my installation problem to this: I can't make a directory named
"fonts"
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, which is where it would be put by the installer.
The
> funny thing is that if I were to call it "font", it works just fine. When
> try to mkdir, I get the following error:
>
> AnChizhik at NY02WDELC1C0801 ~
> $ cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
>
> AnChizhik at NY02WDELC1C0801 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> $ ls
> XErrorDB      app-defaults  fs        proxymngr  x11perfcomp  xkb
> XKeysymDB     config        lbxproxy  rgb.txt    xdm          xman.help
> XftConfig     doc           locale    rstart     xedit        xserver
> app-defaults  etc           mwm       twm        xinit        xsm
>
> AnChizhik at NY02WDELC1C0801 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> $ mkdir fonts
> mkdir: cannot create directory `fonts': no medium
>
> If I create the folder in Windows Explorer, the creation works fine, and
if
> I do "ls", the folder name shows up. However, if I try to do ANYTHING to
it
> in Cygwin, it gives me a "No such file or directory" error.
>
> Does anyone know what this stuff means? Is there some specific information
> about my system/setup that I could give that would help in figuring out
this
> problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Andrew Chizhik

Andrew,

It doesn't work because this directory is a mount.  Installing the
XFree86-fnts package also mounts c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts (to force binary mode).  If the directory for
some reason disappears, the existence of the mount will not let you do
anything with it in Cygwin.

You could try to do the following:

$ umount -s /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
$ mkdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
$ /etc/postinstall/XFree86-fnts.sh.done

	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune