Re: XFree86: Removing dummy root window on Rootless/Multiwindow mode

* Daniel Daboul <Daniel dot Daboul at motorola dot com> [2003-02-26 15:31:50 +0200]:
> In case somebody ever takes steps to remove the root window, I want to
> suggest to keep it as an option. I like to de-iconify it to quickly
> hide all windows not on that display, including all window manager
> decorations. This is potentially useful to get a kind of "presentation
> mode" for applications that don't have a "full-screen" mode built
> in. One can even use xsetroot.

  I believe (and I could be wrong) that the idea is that the root window
would not be removed completely, just changed from a taskbar tab to a
system tray icon.  Again, I could be totally off base there, and I don't
want to put words in any of the devs' mouths.  :)

> In the current version the root window also covers Windows' task
> bar. Does that make the task manager the only common tool to get it
> back to the iconified state? -- Daniel

  Alt-tab or Ctrl-Esc should also work (to make some of Windows' GUI
components resurface).  Also, hitting Alt-Space, then n, will minimize
most windows.

--
John    #
Buttery # Why do CS majors always confuse Christmas and Halloween?