DRI question

This is a Cygwin/XFree86 DRI question
from:

  Timothy A. Holt
  Boeing, Seal Beach, CA.

I down loaded Cygwin/XFree86 on Jan 21 2003
onto a DELL x86-based PC for the purpose of
compiling and running OpenInventor Programs.
I got the OpenInventor built and compiled with
their examples and my own code, but noticed
that it wasn't using DRI hardware acceleration.
I've been reading README.DRI and
README.DRIcomp and tried some of the
checks it said to do.

xdpyinfo showed:
  XFree86 version 4.2.0
  but did not show XFree86-DRI extension

glxinfo showed:
  direct rendering: No
  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

My GL library is named libGL.a in the /usr/X11R6/lib
when I do:

  strings libGL.a | grep DRI

I don't see any XF86DIR things...
there are some _DRI_glxUseXFont
kind of things.

There is no XF86Config file any where,
and no /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory either.

Question:  does this mean I need a different GL ?
I thought that the XFree86 GL had the DRI.
Do I have to do all these steps in README.DRIcomp
to get DRI to work ?

I'm a graphics programmer working
most of the time on SGI UNIX workstations.
We want to port some things to the PC; we
have, using Exceed 3D, but would like to try
with the Cygwin. My program runs with Cygwin
now, but has problems with Z buffer, slow texture
mapping, and sometimes slow to redraw window after
resize or move. Also crashes when trying to popup the
OpenInventor SoXtMaterialEditor from my program.

Thanks for any help

   tim