Re: two new -multiwindow bugs

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
Are you running xterm from your startup script? Why don't you try starting it on your own after the X Serer has finished starting up. I am wondering if there is a race condition where xterm is setting the window title before the window manager has finished starting, if that is even possible.

Although it wasn't clear from the way I said it, I do run xterm after X has started.

In the start-up script, I have

# Xwin -rootless -multiplemonitors -clipboard
# xterm -geometry +34+5

Then from the xterm launched above, I do

# TERM=xterm; export TERM
# xterm -e bash -i -c "ssh -X user at remote"

The other possibility is that the MultiWindow Window Manager handles setting the initial title just fine, but it does not handle requests to change the message. Thus, xterm sets the message to "bash" on startup, but requests to change it to the current directory, etc. are ignored.

I suspect this to be the case.

Raymond Kwong wrote:
As for the window title bug, it was possible to give a new xterm a different title under XWin-4.2.0-20. If you run xterm -T "my title" -e bash, the xterm will have "my title" as the title. Versions after XWin-4.2.0-20 don't seem to allow this anymore.

xterm -T "my title" works for me with XWin-4.2.0-28. This is different functionality, though -- I was talking about a window title that updates automatically to show the current directory.

J S wrote:
> Does it make any difference to the titles if you change the color depth setting?

It makes no difference if I change the Windows color depth (I tried 16-bit and 32-bit). Or do you mean some parameter to Xwin?

-JT