Re: making X server a COM object..

KH,

What is am saying is that COM, by itself, is something you have to sit down with for a few months before you even realize if what you are suggesting is possible. No amount of pointers from other people are going to help.

Similarly, X is something that you have to sit down with for a few months before you can determine if such things are possible.

We can talk about threading, ATL, etc... but it won't matter until you are presenting a coherent framework (which would take about 20 pages to describe). At that point, feel free to ask, "what did I forget?". Understand though that asking us "will this work" is too open-ended of a question. We just can't spend time on your question until you demonstrate that you have spent a lot of time with it already.

Harold

Chan Kar Heng wrote:
thank you for the courtesy.. :)
.. and i would likely (85%) agree with you that i do not have a
firm grasp on the scope... probably more.. probably less..
but if i had a firm grasp, i probably wouldn't need to ask around
the gurus here right? :)

what i do hope is to be able to get some pointers directly at
potential problems... and why it might be impossible to solve...
rather than spending the time to research each one of them
(cygwin, cygwin xfree, COM, etc) in detail to look for potential
problems...
if the issue might be a lengthy one... i suppose some urls or
general description of the issue would suffice.

some potential problems that i can foresee from what i picked up
so far:

- different and likely conflicting runtimes... atlcrt, msvcrt, cygwin1.
if i'm not mistaken, in this case, it's possible to have the cake
and still eat it... but it's very very tricky...
- threading...
- COM on cygwin (even COM on mingw is difficult enough.. and
one can't use C++ due to different name mangling technique).

do correct me in areas where i might be wrong...

havn't been following on cygwin xfree86... so don't know much
bout it...

comments?

rgds,

kh

Not to be rude... but I don't think you have a firm grasp on the scope of what you are talking about.

Harold

Chan Kar Heng wrote:

hmmm... i'd certainly avoid porting XFree86 to use win32 instead of cygwin...
i have a feeling it'd be a *lot* of effort...
i'm thinking.. if it might work if all the .dll files and XWin.exe required were
compiled to .o or .a files.. then using a COM object, statically link in all
those .o or .a files... (it would be a pretty huge COM obj though, but it's
a start at least?)...