XWin -clipboard and xwinclip bad highlighting behavior

I have observed that highlighting with either xwipclip running or Xwin
running with the -clipboard switch, vanishes directly after completing a
selection. The copy to the X and Windows clipboards happens just fine.
However, I would prefer the highlighting to remain until the next mouse
click as it does on other X servers. I read in an earlier thread that
the vanishing highlighting is expected and normal behavior. I would like
to have that behavior changed so that it is at least configurable. I
wouldn't mind doing it myself. If this "problem" is already being
addressed, please tell me so. Otherwise, please tell me how to get
started addressing it; I don't mind doing the work myself.