Remote Graphical Acesss to SuSE from XP Continued

My great thanks to the quick reply to my message!

I did have some success with the suggestion. However, I am still not able to view KDE running on my Linux server on my WinXP machine. Still, now have a new error message, but this is a good thing! It shows that Xfree86 is trying to get info from the server, which I was never able to confirm before.

Same setup: WinXP 192.168.0.7 SuSE8.1 192.168.0.5

When I executed startxwin.sh, a new XFree86 window came up with the X cursor and a terminal window. From there I logged onto my linux machine (ssh -x 192.168.0.5) and echoed the display variable (echo $display). A blank line followed. Assuming that the variable was not set, I typed it in manually on the server and tried the process again. The following error was produced:

Agent pid 1200
Xlib: connection to "192.168.0.5:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

twm: unable to open display "192.168.0.5:0.0"
Xlib: connection to "192.168.0.5:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

xsetroot: unable to open display '192.168.0.5:0.0'

My startxwin.bat file contains the following commands #! /bin/sh export DISPLAY=192.168.0.5:0.0 PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH eval `ssh-agent` # Cleanup from last run. rm -rf /tmp/.X11-unix # Start the X Server. XWin -screen 0 1024 768 -noreset & # Start the twm window manager. twm & # Set a background color to hide that nasty X stipple. xsetroot -solid aquamarine4 # Start an xterm. xterm -n xterm-1 -j -ls -sb -sl 500 -rightbar -geometry +361+0 -e bash & # Return from sh. exit

Any information that anyone would be willing to provide would be very helpful! I thank you for your support of this message list.

David White
whitedavida at hotmail dot com

Reply:

I don't see that you have started X?

Meanwhile step by step.. getting an xterm..

| I start CygWin through the standard cygwin.bat file from installation.

After starting cygwin.bat, type startxwin.sh in the shell-window..

| From the terminal window I can connect to 192.168.0.5 through TelNet
| or SSH to change the DISPLAY variable.  In my attempts I have set
| DISPLAY to both 192.168.0.7:0.0 and 127.0.0.1:0.0.

From the window opened in the X-window, do "ssh -X 192.168.0.5" and
there, do "echo $DISPLAY" (let ssh set the DISPLAY for you), if you
get a value like 192.168.0.7:0.0 it should be working, here fire up a
xterm.

/Andy

--
The eye of the linker rests on the libs!